Sunday 18 March 2012

Natural Progesterone Cream

So another 2ww begins but this time we've decided to give natural progesterone cream a try!

Basically it is because when I ovulate, even on Clomid, my progesterone is at the minimum level for ovulation but for that of a natural ovulation - sense would dictate that a medical ovulation would produce higher levels but that doesn't seem to be the case with my body. We therefore thought perhaps I needed an extra boost, which may also increase my LP a bit which is no bad thing and it might help sustain a pregnancy.

Also, we see that my post-ovulation temps are lower than most and I dip mid-cycle too, indicating perhaps that my already low levels of progesterone are dipping even lower for a short-time mid 2ww.

I'm on the fence about this to be honest. Part of me thinks that it's not staying pregnant I have a problem with but getting pregnant in the first place at this point and progesterone won't help with that! Also, ovulating, even at a minimum level, still means I am producing progesterone and once an embryo implants, that the level of progesterone will rapidly increase and sustain any pregnancy and so there really is no need to interfere with my hormones as Mother Nature should have that all in hand. I know that's not a guarantee but I've had 3 children without supplementing.

Then there is the whole issue of possible side effects. Luckily my IP has done a lot of research and reassures me that the possibility of side effects is pretty slim with the cream, it's when you start ingesting/inserting progesterone supplements or having it given by injections, that side effects are likely but still. If you know me, you'll know that I freak out at taking paracetamol and so something that may screw with my hormones makes me nervous.

Despite my reservations, I also did some research and figured that it wouldn't hurt to try it. I said I would give it a go for a cycle and see what happened and we would then re-evaluate from there, whether to continue.

So I'm currently 2 days into taking it, you take it once ovulation is confirmed and until you either get a + test, when you would continue to use it until the end of the first trimester or you stop taking it because of no + hpt - you would then begin to bleed from withdrawal of the progesterone supplementation or bleeding starts spontaneously, signaling you are not pregnant.

I have had some cramping and I feel more tired but that could be normal 2ww stuff (which are cause by the effects of naturally produced progesterone anyway) and not necessarily down to the cream, nothing I can't handle anyway so I'm plugging on with it.

I rub 1/8 of a teaspoon in twice a day. You alternate the site of application each time, to avoid over-saturation and apply it to the areas with the thinnest skin - so for example, the backs of the hands, the chest, the inside of your arms between your wrist and elbow or your neck. You avoid the fatty areas that most sites advise you apply it to because that's for post-menopausal women who need extra supplementation - applying it to the fatty areas of the body, it is stored in the fat cells and builds up, which can lead to progesterone hyper drive which is not a good thing and can totally mess your cycle up - which is another worry I have using this stuff.

I'm using the stuff from this site:

http://www.progesterone.co.uk/

Interested to see what happens this cycle, I will be having my P4 test on Thursday regardless but I don't expect the cream to increase the result because it takes up to 3 months of use to make it into blood serum but I like to know if I ovulated or not from the Clomid - it helps to build up a picture of what's going on with my body.

I'll be back with an update of some kind in a week or so!

No comments: