Thursday 27 January 2011

Doctor Doctor

I decided that maybe it was time for a fertility MOT. Not because of anything that's happened specifically but just because my old IPs planted a seed of doubt that I've been unable to shake.

If you ask her, I was the mean one, I said horrible things - which of course I absolutely did not but actually, it was her who said some things that dug deep into my brain and have played on my mind. So, my appointment today was the first step to hopefully putting that to rest.

I love talking about surrogacy but even more so to people who don't hear it every day, their reaction never fails to make me chuckle. My GP's was no exception. Very sweet and interested in what's going on, asked lots of questions which I hope I answered well and that I presented the wonderful side to surrogacy in a good light too.

The upshot is that the GP is having me take a bunch of blood tests and an ultrasound to check my female bits are functioning as they should. I don't anticipate any bad news of course but it'll be nice to get the big thumbs up and all clear.

Starting with a Day 5 blood test tomorrow, without actually seeing the list, I'm guessing it'll consist of LH, FSH, testosterone and prolactin. She said there was no point in doing the TSH (thyroid one) since I had that routinely checked in November and it was fine. These tests are old hat for me, from my own ttc days. It's a standard work up basically.

Then we'll move onto the progesterone blood test, a day or 2 after ovulation. I'm really curious as to what that result will be because I obviously have a short LP. It's always been that way and I managed to conceive 3 children but I may not always be that lucky and that may need some assistance, something simple like a progesterone cream or tablet in the 2ww. Very much a fixable issue, if indeed it does appear to be one.

Also, that blood test will tell me if my picture perfect OPKs have been lying to me all this time! It will confirm ovulation has taken place. Or not.

Finishing up with an ultrasound. Again, another test I'm looking forward to. Well not the actual physical part of it of course, I'm not a freak but the results. My periods have become strange and are painful and heavy, it'll be nice to check out that there are no fibroids or endometriosis lurking in there. And I get to check the state of play for the ole' PCOS too. Something I've not had checked since 2002.

I've also investigated the possibility of getting an AMH (Anti-Mullerian Hormone) test, which essentially checks for ovarian reserves. Giving an indication of future fertility. It's not available on the NHS for the most part so that would be an out of pocket expense but one that I would have no problem paying personally. For peace of mind, it'd be worth it but first, we're having the preliminary tests done before that one.

The GP was interested in what had happened with my period last cycle, since it was out of character for me. She said it may be that the blood test shows something up on that front but since I never had a + HPT, probably not. IFs and I have discussed the possibility of it maybe being a chemical pregnancy. At this point, I'm not analysing or worrying about it because what's done is done and we will never be sure either so could be barking up the wrong tree and upsetting ourselves for nothing.

Anyway, back to tests - It sounds like a scary lot of tests, with some possibly worrying outcomes but I'm confident that all will be ok. I need this though for my own peace of mind and also from a pro-active point of view, if problems are found then we can jump on them now rather than realising it 6 attempts down the line. Saving all of us upset and lost time in getting the job done - handing over a bouncing baby to my wonderful IFs.

I think I may of worried K with talk of tests but I've reassured him I'm not expecting to be told I'm a dud or anything and so he's not to go ripping up that contract yet! I think just as they had their fertility tested, for peace of mind, I'd like mine done at this stage too.

I will of course come back and update, as and when.

1 comment:

A said...
This comment has been removed by the author.