Tuesday 15 May 2012

Scan Madness!

I felt bad that I didn't come and update my blog yesterday after our scan but I was processing our amazing appointment and then was wiped out and not sure how to even begin writing about the day so apologies.

Anyway, so IPs and I had a nice time catching up, it was obvious that the scan was the only thing on our minds and we were all tense with a mixture of excitement and apprehension. I had a slight hormonal meltdown the night before the scan, crying and anxiety overwhelmed me and it sounds like my poor IPs had as bad a night as me.

Our appointment wasn't until the afternoon and so we had some lunch before heading to the hospital. Lovely midwife met us as we walked into the clinic area which was sweet, I really feel a connection to her and I know that my IPs found her as great as I do. It's amazing how someone 'just doing their job' can make such a difference to people and they don't even realise it, we made sure that we thanked her more than once during our appointment.

The scan door opened, we all walked in feeling so so nervous - the room was tiny and the lovely midwife, myself, 2 x IPs and the sonographer all squeezed in and I didn't have any hesitation about getting my less than flattering tummy out, I just wanted to start with the scan so we could see what we were all hoping we would!

The sonographer made sure she addressed my IPs and included them from the start, for which I was grateful, you just never know how these things will go and people will act. 

One IP sat down, holding my arm and the other stood and none of us looked at each other but we watched the screen intently instead and straight away, we saw their baby! Yes, a beautiful, teeny, fuzzy blob with its flickering heartbeat. Oh, if you could of felt the tension drain away in the room, it would of been immense.



The sonographer took her time, measuring several times and told us the size estimation - it doesn't quite match up with what we were expecting but these scans can be +/- 6 days and it's difficult to get an accurate measurement at this early stage too so we weren't overly concerned and nor was she. And as I've said before, we're unsure of which day I ovulated - with FF giving me one day based on my temps and me being sure it's another.

All jokes about multiples aside, IP said 'but there's just the one?' to the tech and which she said 'yes, just the one' and I said 'well my husband won't be pleased then, he had £20 on triplets!'. The sonographer then proceeded to continue with looking at the bean. She moved to another area that both IP and I had clocked from the start of the scan but both said nothing and straight away she said 'actually...I think there's another!' I let out a tear, it felt like it literally shot out of me from the shock. IP grabbed my hand and I didn't dare look at them for fear of turning into a sobbing wreck so we all just kept our eyes on the screen, mesmerised as the tech took measurements from the second. That one measures ahead of what we thought I was but again, the tech explained that there are reasons for that and it is common.



Our sonographer was so lovely, she took ages checking sizes and looking around and got some pics for my IPs and then told us that the lovely midwife (who I should give a name to!), Kathy would see us shortly for a quick chat.

As IPs and I left the room in a complete happy, shell-shocked daze, we couldn't take it in. I promptly cried and then told them I didn't know why I was crying, this was happy news!

Kathy has booked us in for another scan in 2 weeks, which is lovely and we'll hopefully see appropriate growth/catching up of the first bean and that will put our minds at ease a little. She didn't seem concerned about the differences in size of the 2 and it could be that I ovulated twice in fact and one fertilized and implanted later than the other - you just don't know. Google supports that it's common and we've no reason to be anything other than optimistic. Both babies had good heartbeats and so that's encouraging too.

The day after the shock before and we're all doing OK I think, shocked still of course but very happy. Honestly, I shouldn't be surprised - nothing about the journey has been textbook and why would that stop now I'm actually pregnant!

Lots of things to consider and things whizzing through all of our minds but we're just holding tight, continuing to enjoy the moment and hoping for great news at the next scan.


No comments: