Monday 14 March 2011

Every Day Is A Learning Day

I think I've made an error, I had always assumed the last day of a + OPK was when you started the countdown to AF arriving - the following day was 1dpo. This was because in my mind, if the surge hadn't dropped to a negative level, the surge was still happening to get ovulation and the egg released and therefore, you couldn't be days past ovulation since it hadn't happened.

Now I've read, and asked amongst ttc and old ttc veterans and actually, you're meant to go from the first + OPK. This is, and it all makes sense now, because you don't peak and then immediately drop back down, it usually takes some time so the following + results are just the LH levels slowly coming back down but still high enough to trigger a + result on the OPK.

Most women stop taking OPKs once they get their first + too, whereas when you're hardcore ttc'er, you tend to keep taking them until that + turns into a -.

One site said that 'you can expect to ovulate, on average, 1.5 days after your first positive ovulation test'.

If this is true and from the sites I've looked at, I trust that it is, then my LP may not be as short as I was fearing. Which is obviously fantastic!

How crazy that all these years, I've been calculating wrong! Feeling a bit foolish but in the grand scheme of things, it has no negative effect on any outcome, it is what it is and only really matters if you consider things like blood testing after ovulation and suchlike.

Every day is a learning day, they say and it turned out to be most true for me! Just goes to show, you can never have enough knowledge when ttc.

No comments: