Tuesday 12 April 2011

Temperature Trouble

I'm still wondering if the thermometer/s (I've now got 3 thanks to forgetting it on a trip away) is up to the job of recording BBT.

They are normal digital, pharmacy fever ones, I remember that type doing the job when I was temping years ago but then my circumstances are different now, such as that I don't have a full nights sleep etc so every .1 will count now in trying to decipher a pattern.

So far, my temp post-o has yet to climb above 36.2 and it's a joke in the family now that there are no digits higher than that on the thermometer. I've tried them on all manner of body areas and on the entire family and yet, only on a handful of occassions has the thermometer even read normal body temp.

This morning, I fumbled for the damn thing yet again, bleary eyed at 4:30am and took it. Again, predictibly, it read 36.1. Without doing much more more than hitting the reset button, I took it again and this time, it was 36.3. How?! No, not really, I know the science bit, that just waking can make even a small change in degrees but seriously though, in reality, how?

I was so tempted to put that higher temp into my chart, it looked far more exciting than the lower value but no, that would be cheating and really, it wouldn't benefit us in the long run so I begrudgingly put the first reading in. Gah.

Many women must think the same thing as FF (charting site) even says to 'avoid altering temperatures or using the more pleasing reading if you've taken several during the night'.

I think next cycle, I'm going to purchase a proper BBT thermometer, they are meant to be much more accurate.

No comments: