Thursday 17 January 2013

Day 7 - What A Week!

All the positive thoughts must have done their job because I was sprung from the hospital late this afternoon! I had a rough night, mainly caused by lots of interruptions (necessary for my well-being but still...) and so I jumped at the chance of escape. I lost count of the number of injections I had - anti-sickness, antibiotics, anti-coagulants and one final one before I was let out the door of a uterus contracting drug, 2 bags of fluids and not forgetting the oral tablets - painkillers of 2 different types and antibiotics but,I'm home with my children, husband and nearest and dearest family and of course I feel a million times better now too so it was worth suffering.

The doctor hopes that things will pass naturally and I've just gotto wait it out but follow up with my GP upon my return to Bristol on Saturday - earlier, via the hospital route again, if things should go downhill but hopefully not. Strangely, the hospital gave me a much needed distraction from the hormonal whirlwind associated with the birth and stuff and I left with a different frame of mind. Probably not least because I felt better in myself of course.

K and B were kept informed, I was in half a mind whether to say anything because I felt like I was bothering them at a time when they've far better things to be thinking about and didn't want my health to be the cause of bringing their babymoon happy bubble but, I did tell them and they've been sweet and supportive - well as far as they can be, being some 600 odd miles away.

The nurses couldn't believe how far we'd travelled and especially so soon after giving birth. I think they probably thought it was a stupid thing to do and so I was quick to explain that there really had been little choice. They were very complimentary about the situation that brought me there, they had never had any experience of surrogacy in their professional capacity so I guess a positive is that I had the chance to give them some first-hand information and experience.

I've had to make some big decisions, under some very trying circumstances this past week and I hope that my hormones aren't clouding my judgement and I'm making the right ones - time will tell I guess but I've new adventures to look forward to and that's giving me a renewed sense of direction and motivation - something I know I've felt I've lost since giving birth.

On that note - let me shout out a 'Very Happy One Week Old, Oli!' wish. Almost this time, 7 days ago, he made quite the entrance into the world and into his daddies arms and I became a true first time tummy mummy.

No comments: