Friday 18 January 2013

Day 8 - Veggie Tales

Good day overall, felt much improved but the whole drama this week has really made me question the care I received at my delivering hospital.

Having consulted Google about my diagnosis, which was post partum endometritis by the way, I was at high risk of this and yet my hospital didn't foresee this was a high probability complication and prescribe me some cheap but effective prophylactic antibiotics. I've also looked at my notes and was dismayed to see that they didn't accurately record my post-delivery observations either, which probably meant they missed cues that I was already not well. All in all, I'm disappointed. I was going to write to them to thank them for their excellent personal care, which I still feel we all received overall but I'm in two minds now whether to also make a complaint about the medical side of our care too - even if it's just so it is noted and learnt from.

Google also reminded me of how necessary it is to get that follow-up scan arranged, after all, this is my fertility that could possibly be compromised by this infection but that can be prevented by ensuring I take the medication I was given and by checking that that alone has cleared up the problem.

Physical wise, I've got a painful uterus but the jab seems to be doing its job of getting rid of whatever remaining tissue was causing the infection, which is a good thing. On the downside, all of this has given me the yeast beast from hell. I think, in fairness, that that is a combination of a lot of things though - stress, travelling, general post-baby yuckiness, the antibiotics and all the other meds but still something I could be doing without. I also have lots of nasty pin-prick bruises all over my tummy from the blood thinning jabs and some of their 'friends' on my thighs from the many hospital injections. Oh and 2, yes a have-one-get-another-one-free deal, cold sores. Yuck. Definitely run down I'd say.

On the plus side, my boobs are slowly deflating which is so nice and making things a bit more comfortable out front.. I tried the recommended cabbage-down-the-bra trick this evening and man, that felt good! Even the midwives had recommended that and they were right, it is bliss. My children were most amused to learn what Mum was planning do to with it!




Emotion wise, I'm feeling fine. I keep thinking I shouldn't be feeling this fine suddenly and that that's not normal and it'll all come crashing down on me but I think I actually am fine. I think another issue, along with missing being pregnant and hormones, was the adjustment in the type of relationship that we will now share since that chapter of the journey is over but that's natural. It's like when we all took a break from ttc - that took time to adjust to, the lack of texts, no anticipation of when we would see each other next, no excitement from the 2ww etc and that shift took a while to get used to. Just like this will but I know K and B are only on the end of the phone, or an e-mail or text away. It is just a different type of relationship now, I guess.

Heading back home from Scotland tomorrow - well, weather dependent anyway. It's snowing home, in Bristol but nothing in the Highlands which is funny. Snow is now forecast from here, all the way down the country to home and so we're leaving and hoping for the best. I'm looking forward to getting back to familiarity, not least it's a comfort incase things don't continue to go as smoothly with my recovery. It's certainly been a memorable visit here though, that's for sure!

No comments: